Friday, June 5, 2009

why i don't blog much:

A typical HBC day:
- A volunteer that we hired to be part-time in the office while Elibariki was away, just had a baby on Monday. She called me at 7 in the morning on Monday, asking me to come and pick her up while she was in labor (and had been all night). I called the Imara driver and we met at the office where I grabbed gloves, then we swung by and picked up a nurse midwife who does VCT at Imara, then we drove the 14 km to her village. I called her to let her know we were coming, and she said she had already had the baby. About 15 minutes later we walked into her mud hut, and a traditional birth attendant had helped her deliver the baby safely and had tied and cut the cord. A healthy baby boy. We wrapped the baby up and I got to hold him as we took them to the hospital so that they could get some medical attention and the baby could get some ARVs. We brought them to the ward and talked with the PMTCT nurses. From there I ran home, and then got ready for the HBC volunteer meeting – which meant biking and getting the keys to the church, making sure we had enough forms for the volunteers etc. Went to the office and remembered that I also had to orient 3 nursing students who would be with HBC for the week. Talked with them and then we went to the HBC meeting. After the meeting I worked in the office with volunteers and clients, giving out money for milk, and dealing with all sorts of issues. Went home to feed Aaron. While I was home, was asked to return right away as the District HIV coordinator needed a list of 200 clients from us. So went back to the office and got that ready for him, then did a medicine inventory count (which we do every month). And before I knew it it was 6:00 pm.

1 comment:

gianna said...

what? you don't have time update? crazy!